Image Image Image Image Image
Scroll to Top

To Top

Clinical Correlations: Final Assessment

Content & Focus- 100%
I feel that I learned much about many diseases and further solidified my understanding of others. I consistently used quality sources, such as studies and UptoDate.
Logic & Flow- 100%
I would often try to present my topics in a logical, step-by-step manner in order to help my classmates retain the information. Furthermore, I would choose certain orders or diagnoses and justify my reasoning for each of these as the class went on.
Analysis- 100%
I actively participated with my classmates to work through the case, identifying how to proceed through the case and possible results of our decisions.
Communication & Collaboration- 100%
I worked with my classmates to work through the case, doing research to find differential diagnoses and management options. Furthermore, I both taught and learned from my classmates by presenting our topics.

One thing that I found often challenged me and was new to me was ordering things wisely. Often I wanted to order something and then found out I did not have a clear justification for it and it was an inefficient use of resources. This is definitely important for my clinical practice as resources in most settings are not freely available both because of time and cost.  Now when I decide to order something I try to have a clear justification in my mind for why this test would be useful. I have developed my skills in my history taking, however, I believe that I could still improve on it. For example, sometimes I would miss something that was essential to the patient’s illness because I did not ask a certain question.

I believe that my differentials could also use work, which I’m sure will also improve during clinical. I think a good strategy would be for me to review the top 25 ER cases in order to prepare for my ER rotations and know how to recognize these common conditions and know the appropriate history, PE, and tests to diagnose it. I did not encounter any issues in this class, however, I would say that I learned to explain topics in a concise but high-yield way to make it easier for someone listening to retain.

I felt that UptoDate was definitely the best but I also liked AAFP. I sometimes would use Medscape to clarify something but would not rely on it for information that I would present. I also found Osmosis useful for pathophysiology. I think I’ll be using UptoDate the most in clinical year.

I would tell the students taking this class to make a Google Docs with everyone in your group. It makes everything very organized as well as allows you to look back on past cases and topics learned through our peers’ presentations.